Saturday 27 January 2018

Grey January



Well, thoughts of Spring last week banished this week by rain, rain and more rain!  Shan't be sorry to see the last of January this year: I thought the old saying was 'February, fill dyke'?  Maybe there will be more rain to come, but let's hope for a few dry days so I can photograph and share my finishes.

I have been quilting mostly this month as I sorted out my WIPs and there were far too many tops finished but waiting to be quilted.  Actually, after putting off this final stage of the process for too long, I have found it really enjoyable to focus on finishing, and having the end of the month as a self-imposed deadline has been useful. 

I am not keen on deadlines but they do work, so I guess I should set a few more targets in my life and try not to get distracted by new fabric/ideas....



So here is a glimpse of what I have been quilting the past few days: more photos and info will follow next week, I hope.



I can share a small project finish though: here is a quilt-as-you-go thread catcher which I made last Friday using this tutorial from The Sewing Chick.  Very enjoyable and all from scrap, though the blue linen I used for the main part of the outside shifted like mad when quilting despite being spray basted.



It is larger than I had anticipated (mine came out slightly larger than the tutorial said), standing 5 1/2" tall and nearly 6" in diameter, so it will hold a LOT of threads!  But being so large means it will not tip over easily and it would make a useful basket for other things eg spools of thread, small tools, keys if you made one as a gift.



The tutorial is very clear and I definitely recommend you have a go.  If you have everything to hand and don't spend too long agonising over fabric choices (!) you can make it in a couple of hours.



So linking to Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.  Good luck with your finishes this week.

1 comment:

  1. SEW cute!!! Of course, some would say I'm a bit bias. I've been making fabric baskets/bowls/buckets like crazy up in my sewing room!! Now, I've got to try one of these, too.

    ReplyDelete