Friday 5 June 2015

Disappearing Hourglass - finished!

Despite having heaps to do outside I have managed to quilt this top which I pieced not too long ago (by my standards anyway), having started it here.



Completion was delayed while I mulled over whether to add a narrow white border to give the design a little 'room to breathe'.  They are smaller blocks (7" finished) than I've seen in other tutorials because I made them with 5" charm squares rather than from a 10" layer cake so the piecing is quite intense - I think it helps to have some calm space all around the edge.



I decided to do the quilting quite simply: straight lines an inch either side of the seams between the blocks and in the ditch through the centre  of the blocks.  Quick and easy, no ends to tie in and just enough for a relaxed texture.



I used a fresh pale blue and white stripe on the back to keep it light and summery and leftover strips for a scrappy binding.  The quilt measures 46" x 60" and I made 48 blocks, set 6 x 8.



I did think about joining the Scrap Vortex QAL over at Crazy Mom Quilts but I got no further than tipping out all my fabric scraps into a large clear bag so I could see what I have got.

  I am hoping to make a start next week.  I think I will have enough fabric...


Have a great weekend - it's our open garden day on Sunday so no more sewing for a while.  See you on the other side of the event.

Linking to Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

5 comments:

  1. YOur quilt is wonderful. Your scrap bag is pretty impressive. It should work up into a great Vortex Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful quilt ... and if you need more scraps ....I can find you some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your disappearing hourglass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt. Is this a photo from your gardens?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much for your comments; I really appreciate them. Yes, Jen, the photo is taken in our garden, and on a really beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete